Wednesday, August 19, 2015

ME, Ty Greenwood

Hi everyone,

My name is Ty Greenwood and I am a Junior at Washington & Jefferson College. I am a Communication Arts major, with a double emphasis in Rhetoric and Theatre. On campus, I am also a member of the boys varsity Tennis team. You could also find me in the office of admissions, where I am a student ambassador and fellow of the college. This means I give tours and interview prospective students for the college. I am also one of the three J-Walker supervisors, where I help oversee the student ambassadors and fellows and work closely with the admissions team to plan and coordinate various campus events for new and prospective students. I am part of the innagural group of Charles West Fellows of my college which is a group of African American men who carry out the legacy of Charles West who was one of W&J's first African American Athletes and Scholar. I am an active member of the W&J theatre, where I have been in five productions and most recently earned the lead in this past springs play, "Eye of God." I could also be heard on WNJR 91.7  this past spring semester on Monday's and Thursday's where I was the co-host of the radio show, "LateNite Snack" and the host of my own personal radio show, "Talks with Ty." Those are just some of the numerous involvements I have on campus. Outside of school I am an apprentice at KDKA (CBS)-TV News studios in Downtown Pittsburgh where I landed a four-year paid/scholarship contract with them until I graduate undergrad. I have had the opportunity to work closely with the, "Pittsburgh Today Live" show and have met special guest such as Billy Porter, Alison Riske, Steve Byrne and Miss PA USA 2014 just to name a few. Fun Facts about me, in 2013 I was seventh in the state of PA for Dramatic Interpretation and fifth in Nation for Poetry Interpretation. I was also number one in the state of PA for the ELKs oratorical speech competition, where I gave a speech on Trayvon Martin. This summer I traveled to San Francisco where I taught 7th, 8th & 9th graders English Writing for two months at the University High School of San Francisco through a program called BreakThrough teaching. I was also one of the four recipients of the Sanger Family Summerbridge Teaching Fellowship Award of $3,000 awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional promise as scholars and mentors.

Now that you know a little bit about me I guess it's time for me to talk about why I am going to London! Ever since I was little it has always been my dream to go to London. I have known for a long time that I want to become an award-winning actor. London is known as the theatre capitol of the world. I decided that there was no better time in my life than now to study abroad and be able to spend four months out of the country learning and gaining top knowledge and skills that pertain to my craft. I will be attending St. Mary's University! I am looking forward to gaining knowledge in Theatre, Writing and Radio. I will also be staying with a host family! I feel that I will be able to fully embrace a new culture and I am most forward looking to exploring the theatre world in London and my classes. Stay tuned for more exciting post coming from me in the near future. I touch down in London on September 8th! I will be taking tons of pictures! After I am settled I will be making weekly post, if not more!! I look forward to sharing this journey with you all!!


My Best,

Ty G.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tyrell, I am so proud of you. Have a fantastic time in London and take lots of photos :-)
    Mr. Dyer

    ReplyDelete